The Field label is not translated on the participant view

3 years 2 months ago #152
Topic Author
The Field label is not translated on the participant view

Hi

I found a little bug in the display of a participant. The field label is not translated through the Joomla translation.

I have changed the file:
components\com_competition\themes\bootstrap2\_participant.fields.php at line 36:
<b><?php echo $this->escape($field->label); ?>:</b>
Changed into:
<b><?php echo $this->escape(JText::_($field->label)); ?>:</b>

The same issue in the files:
components\com_competition\themes\default\_participant.fields.php
components\com_competition\themes\uikit\_participant.fields.php

Best regards
Dennis

3 years 2 months ago #153
Re: The Field label is not translated on the participant view

Hello and thank you for report, we appreciate it!

I want to say that it is not really a bug ;) Some things are not meant to be translated, like competition title, competition description, field labels and field descriptions. That's how NC works.

I am not sure that JText::_($field->label) will work for you. Did you name your labels with language string constants? Just wondering - when users will complete the application form will they complete on English?

P.S.
We are thinking of implementing some kind of multilingual support in future versions. But there are some issues; Joomla’s multilingual implementation not really fits in representing the same object on different languages especially when dynamic properties like custom fields are used. So it will be some kind of challenge to implement properly.

Like our extensions and support?
Add your voice to the JED listing with a 100-score review: bit.ly/2ciJBqC
Thanks!

3 years 2 months ago #154
Topic Author

Hi Dmitry

I know what you mean, the reason why I mentioned it as a bug is because on other locations/pages the label language string where translated, only on the page I mentioned it was not translated. So yes, the change that I made fixed the problem.

People will compete in different languages, the labels are translated into the correct language, but we will ask the fillin the fields in English words. It is more that they can read the competition description in there own language.

I saw indied that the competition itself is not multilangage like an articles does. Yes it is a challenge. I have made menu items multilanguage, the fields multilanguage. The competition title and description is not translated asswell as you mentioned. For now I think I will use content plugins for displaying multilanguage text.
Plugins from www.nonumber.nl like Snippets. Or a html module into the description of the competition. Or the ability to use some code replacements like [ SITENAME] [MESSAGE] with can than be translated.

CHALLENGE :-)

Best regards
Dennis

3 years 2 months ago #155
Topic Author

Hi Dmitry

Don't know if there is a place to submit a feature request? So for now i post it here.

We want one competition so people can upload video's and photos. No this is not posible within one competion, it must be two competitions, one with type photo and one with type video.

Is there a reason why this is separate?
Is it a nice feature to have the abillity two select a type 'Photo', 'Video', 'Both'.

Best regards
Dennis

3 years 2 months ago #156

dennisbuijs wrote:
I know what you mean, the reason why I mentioned it as a bug is because on other locations/pages the label language string where translated, only on the page I mentioned it was not translated. So yes, the change that I made fixed the problem.

Hmm, interesting. Can you point where the label language string is translated? Funny I do not remember such. Thanks :)

dennisbuijs wrote:
People will compete in different languages, the labels are translated into the correct language, but we will ask the fillin the fields in English words. It is more that they can read the competition description in there own language.

That's what I was thinking about. Funny - everything is on your native language and values are on English. But actually there is no other way.

dennisbuijs wrote:
I saw indied that the competition itself is not multilangage like an articles does. Yes it is a challenge. I have made menu items multilanguage, the fields multilanguage. The competition title and description is not translated asswell as you mentioned. For now I think I will use content plugins for displaying multilanguage text.

Yeah, that what I was talking about. There is no way you can create 3 competitions on different languages and associate them with each other like menu item or articles. That does not make sense. I like challenges :p :D

Thanks!

3 years 2 months ago #157

dennisbuijs wrote:

Hi Dmitry

Don't know if there is a place to submit a feature request? So for now i post it here.

We want one competition so people can upload video's and photos. No this is not posible within one competion, it must be two competitions, one with type photo and one with type video.

Is there a reason why this is separate?
Is it a nice feature to have the abillity two select a type 'Photo', 'Video', 'Both'.

Best regards
Dennis

Dennis,

sure why not? Will see what we can do about it.

P.S.
You can post your feature request here in the discussions ;)

Dmitry

Thanks!

3 years 2 months ago #158
Topic Author

Hi Dmitry

I saw the field translation working in the 'New Application Form'.

Maybe something for the translation of a competition. I saw it by OpenCart webshop software, how they do a page translation, see attachment.
So in the competition put every text that must be translated in the first tab 'Competition' with sub tabs for each language. The competition title also in the sub tabs.

Best regards
Dennis

3 years 2 months ago #159

Hi Dennis!

dennisbuijs wrote:
I saw the field translation working in the 'New Application Form'.

I think you are talking about "Photo" and "Video" fields - they are translated because are per-built and are not custom. That's is why it was possible to define translations to them.

dennisbuijs wrote:
Maybe something for the translation of a competition. I saw it by OpenCart webshop software, how they do a page translation, see attachment.
So in the competition put every text that must be translated in the first tab 'Competition' with sub tabs for each language. The competition title also in the sub tabs.

Thanks. I've seen this approach many times also in Joomla e-commerce extensions. I think that we also will go this way ;)

Thanks!

3 years 1 week ago #225

Already working on it - expect in 1.3.0 this December.

Dmitry

Thanks!

You can get our help: Monday - Friday / 09:00 to 17:00 (GMT+2). but not limited. Our staff will be pleased to provide Premium support to every paid subscriber asap, but sometimes you should be ready to wait for our reply for up to 3 days. In case of free extensions we do the best to develop and maintain them either, but their support is not necessary.

Product Latest Update