Problem with installing the component

8 months 1 day ago #1148
Topic Author

Hi there! I'm excited to make this video contest happen on my Joomla site. I was hoping you could kindly help me.

When uploading the component package and installing the extension I get this error message: "
"installeJFolder::create: Could not create folder.Path: /home/ssworld
Warning: Failed to move file: /tmp/php379TH8 to /home/ssworld/public_html/tmp/norrcompetition-component.zip
Error

Archive does not exist
Unable to find install package"

Any suggestions? I have managed to install all the module and plugins manually and discover them in the Joomla admin panel. Many thanks in advance!

Kindest regards,
Alyssa

The topic has been locked.
8 months 1 day ago #1149

Hello, Alyssa,

Thanks for your question. Can you provide more information about the environment, please?

• Joomla version
  • PHP version
It is also good to check out folder permissions. Recommended file/directory permissions

Btw, you can send us credentials to your site to examine this issue. The credentials can be sent at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Best Regards,
Eugene.

Like our extensions and support?
Add your voice to the JED listing with a 5-star review: bit.ly/2ciJBqC
Thanks!
Last Edit: 8 months 1 day ago by Eugene.
8 months 13 hours ago #1150
Topic Author

Thanks for your kind follow up Eugene.

Joomla version is Joomla! 3.6.5.
PHP Version is 5.4.45.

I also tried to install manually by extracting the component files into the components folder. It was picked up on discover but then when trying to install I got another similar error. I'll check out the folder permissions and if still no luck will send in my credentials for your expert evaluation.

Kindest regards,
Alyssa

8 months 13 hours ago #1151

Hi Alyssa,

Well, the software used on your server and the CMS version is outdated.
NorrCompetition requires Joomla version 3.7+ as a minimal environment while you are using version 3.6.5. Please update Joomla to the latest version.
We also recommend to switch on another PHP version since 5.4 is outdated and have vulnerabilities. The best option is PHP 7+ or, at least, ver.5.6.

The component works perfectly with Joomla 3.7.5. A day ago Joomla ver.3.8.0 have released. If any issue with caused during the update, just try ver.3.7.5 which is stable.
Do not forget to make a backup of your site before upgrading Joomla to its latest version.

Please let me know about your success with the component installation.

Kind regards,
Eugene.

Thanks!
7 months 4 weeks ago #1154
Topic Author

Thanks for your quick response Eugene! There are a few old 3rd party extensions that don't have updates and from trying to update I was getting alot of errors. Also in regards to the PHP version, there are 2 old sites that are running smoothly on 5.4 php version if I were to update the hosting account then it would be too much trouble getting al sites to work on the new php version (given I am not that coding saavy and the time limitation I need to get the video contest site up and running).

If I am unable to update my Joomla successfully, could you help me? Otherwise would it be possible to kindly have a refund? Many thanks again.

Kindest regards,
Alyssa

Last Edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by Alyssa Kılıç.
7 months 4 weeks ago #1155

Hi Alyssa,

Yes, in some cases upgrading to the Joomla 3.8.0 may cause some errors, so all extensions must be up-to-date.
I should note that there are various vulnerabilities in earlier versions of Joomla.
For example, have a look at the list of Security Issues in Joomla 3.7 announce . That's why it is recommended to keep Joomla up-to-date.
In a case of it is impossible due to various reasons, there are two ways to solve the problem:

1. Update Joomla to version 3.7.x (instead of 3.8.0). Check out how your other 3rd party extensions work. If all is fine, then install NorrCompetition ver.1.7.2. In a case of problem restore the backup and try to install another Joomla version, e.g. 3.7.5 or 3.7.1. Here are Upgrade packages . Of course, you must backup the site before the update.
If you will not be successful with the upgrade, we can help, but we need more details concerning other 3rd party extensions and what kind of issues occurs there after the update since you know these extensions and can notice if something went wrong there.

2. We can send you NorrCompetition ver.1.6.3 (earlier version) which works with Joomla 3.6.5.

As concerning the PHP version - it was just a recommendation since PHP 7.0 can speed-up the site immensely. NorrCompetition work on PHP 5.4.

Of course, a refund is possible. But as I understand, you just need to install the component correctly.
So, we can try to update Joomla to 3.7.x or to install an earlier version of NorrCompetition. If you need NorrCompetition ver1.6.3 - we can send it to your e-mail. The first way (Joomla upgrade) is better, of course.

Best Regards,
Eugene.

Thanks!
7 months 3 weeks ago #1160
Topic Author

Hi Eugene,

Thank you very much for the explanation, well-recieved.

I have a template purchased from Joomlart, there are 6 upgrades available but they do not install when I click to install them. It is very odd.

At this point in time I would prefer to install the earlier version of Norr Competition due to the time restraints I am under. However I do hope by the end of the year with more time I will have to upgrade to Joomla 3.8.

Many thanks Eugene for your kind guidance!

Kindest regards,
Alyssa

7 months 3 weeks ago #1161

Hi Alyssa,

The earlier version of the component has been sent.
We will be glad to help you start competitions, so feel free to contact us in a case of any questions.

Have a nice day,
Eugene.

Thanks!
7 months 3 weeks ago #1162

Alyssa,

I have signed into the Administrator Panel of your site and found the reason of installation problem: the path to /tmp folder was incorrect. As a result, any extension could not be unpacked. It is fixed now.

Have a great day,
Eugene.

Thanks!
7 months 3 weeks ago #1174
Topic Author

Thank you very much Eugene!

You can get our help: Monday - Friday / 09:00 to 17:00 (GMT+2). but not limited. Our staff will be pleased to provide Premium support to every paid subscriber asap, but sometimes you should be ready to wait for our reply for up to 3 days. In case of free extensions we do the best to develop and maintain them either, but their support is not necessary.

Product Latest Update