Vimeo Private Link

7 months 3 weeks ago #1210
Topic Author
Vimeo Private Link

During the testing phase of this product on our site, we ran into issues where the NorrCompetition application did not like submissions that contained a "Private Link" Url from Vimeo. We had the privacy on Vimeo set to allow anyone with the private link to be able to view the video, plus we added the domain for our site to the approved domains list. Did we miss something? We have a contets that we would like to start befor the end of this week, so we would really like to get this figured out.

Thanks,

Ryan

The topic has been locked.
7 months 3 weeks ago #1211
Vimeo Private Link

Hello Ryan.

You are not missing anything. Component uses oEmbed format to get the data about the video. In case of Vimeo it queries this endpoint:

https://vimeo.com/api/oembed.json?url=https://vimeo.com/{id}
Id here is the ID of the video. For example if you want to get the data for video with id 235638223 then oEmbed endpoint will be:
https://vimeo.com/api/oembed.json?url=https://vimeo.com/235638223
I am not familiar with Vimeo internals, but possibly "Private Link" videos does not show up in oEmbed endpoint or does not have enough data and component is failing.

Can you provide the example ID of such video to test? May be I can find a solution for you or fix (if we have a bug), but I am not sure without example video.

Best regards,
Dmitry

Like our extensions and support?
Add your voice to the JED listing with a 5-star review: bit.ly/2ciJBqC
Thanks!
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Dmitry.
7 months 2 weeks ago #1214
Topic Author
Vimeo Private Link

Dmitry,

Thank you for your reply.

The following link is the private link for a video from our Vimeo account:
vimeo.com/*9digitvideocode*/*additionalcode* // removed the specifics to the private link

This is what the link looks like when I make it public:
vimeo.com/*9digitvideocode* // removed the specific video link

It looks like there is some kind of privacy key attached after the video ID on the private video link. Please let me know if you need anything else to troubleshoot this issue.

On another note, private videos on youtube do not work either. If the video is set to "unlisted" it will work.

Thanks,

Ryan

Last Edit: 7 months 5 days ago by Ryan Snow. Reason: hid portions of the vimeo url for privacy reasons
7 months 2 weeks ago #1215
Vimeo Private Link

Ryan,

I've made some adjustments to Vimeo processing code, please find attached. Extract it to components/com_competition/libraries/video/services/ (overwriting existing file).

I was able to save application form with such video, but it cannot be played then. I have a message:

Sorry

Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here.
May be on your domain it will work. Please test.

Best regards,
Dmitry

Thanks!
Attachments:
7 months 5 days ago #1247
Topic Author
Vimeo Private Link

Dmitry,
I am following up to let you know this customization to the Vimeo processing code resolved the issue for my team.
I loaded the .zip file into the Joomla file system and extracted it to the component directory as instructed. I made a copy of the original vimeo.php file just in case.

I tested it with a private link and it allowed it. Then it embedded it properly on the preview. Our site has domain restriction for embedding as well.

Is there similar functionality that could be extended for YouTube processing code? Please advise if a new ticket needs to be opened.

Thank you.

7 months 5 days ago #1248
Vimeo Private Link

Ryan,

thank you for your feedback. I need to explore YouTube docs to find out about this possibility.

Best regards,
Dmitry

Thanks!
6 months 2 weeks ago #1274
Vimeo Private Link

Hello Ryan!

Apologies for the delay. I have tested YouTube video with the link access only and it is working fine.
What do you mean by private then? Can you give the example URL?

Thanks!
6 months 2 days ago #1341
Vimeo Private Link

Hello Ryan.

I am closing this thread. If the problem with YouTube still exist, please open a new one. Thank you!

Best regards,
Dmitry

Thanks!

You can get our help: Monday - Friday / 09:00 to 17:00 (GMT+2). but not limited. Our staff will be pleased to provide Premium support to every paid subscriber asap, but sometimes you should be ready to wait for our reply for up to 3 days. In case of free extensions we do the best to develop and maintain them either, but their support is not necessary.

Product Latest Update