Competition end date vs voting end date

3 months 2 weeks ago #1611
Topic Author

Hi. We created a bunch of competitions which were open until March 30 for entries.
The voting was set to terminate on the 4th of April

Once the midnight March 30th passed, all the competitions status changed from Active to Completed and voting no longer functioned.

As we were in a hurry we changed all the dates to April 04 for each competition and and switched the status back to active. Then to stop new submissions we removed the Participation link from the menu.

Did we miss a step? i attach a screen capture showing the dates and status. When the end date was set for "2018-03-30" here, but in voting was set for "2018-04-04" the status in this grab had changed to completed, and front end users were told they could not vote.

Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
3 months 2 weeks ago #1612

Hello Jamie!

I will try to explain how it works actually :)

We have 5 different dates that can be used to create different scenarios:
- created date -- is set automatically on contest creation; submission is possible (if set in permissions).
- start date -- the start date of contest; submission is possible (if set in permissions); voting is possible if voting start date is not set.
- end date -- the end date of contest; submission is not possible; voting is not possible.
- voting start date -- submission is possible (if set in permissions); voting is possible if it is equals or greater then contest start date and equals or less then contest end date.
- voting end date -- submission is possible (if set in permissions); voting is not possible.

So basically voting dates are working within contest start and end date period - you cannot vote outside of contest start and end dates.

Best regards,
Dmitry

Like our extensions and support?
Add your voice to the JED listing with a 100-score review: bit.ly/2ciJBqC
Thanks!
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Dmitry.
3 months 2 weeks ago #1613

A few screenshots as a little addition to Dmitry's post.

Voting Start / Voting End dates can be found in Basic Options tab:

Also, my advice is to check out timezone in Joomla global configuration and set it according to your location.

Good luck with contests!

Add your voice to the JED listing with a 100 score review:: bit.ly/2ciJBqC
Thanks!
Attachments:
3 months 2 weeks ago #1614
Topic Author

Not aware that voting cannot take place outside of submission. This doesn't make a lot of sense, for example, given that we can restrict visitors to one vote per competition, for example. I think that someone should be able to run a competition in which:
there is a period to submit entries.
Entries close, voting begins. This way people who are voting know they are not going to want to change their vote because a day later a better entry is submitted.

So our workaround was the best option: make the END date the Voting END, and remove the link to submit. Not the best solution but in the end it is what we have.

Thanks for the detailed response on how dates work though. Much clearer.

3 months 2 weeks ago #1615

I think that someone should be able to run a competition in which:
there is a period to submit entries.
Entries close, voting begins. This way people who are voting know they are not going to want to change their vote because a day later a better entry is submitted.

It is already possible. You can set contest start date for example to 01-01-2018 and voting start date to 04-01-2018. Then in Permissions set Create After Vote Start to Deny - users won't be able to submit entries after the start of voting. So in this case you will have a period for entries submission between 01-01-2018 and 04-01-2018.

P.S.
I am going to write a blog post (tutorial) about all these different combinations of days/permissions that will help to better understand the possible scenarios of running a contest. So stay tuned ;)

Dmitry

Thanks!
2 months 3 weeks ago #1679

Hello Jamie!

I wrote a tutorial as promised :) www.norrnext.com/blog/item/tutorial-diff...with-norrcompetition

Dmitry

Thanks!

You can get our help: Monday - Friday / 09:00 to 17:00 (GMT+2). but not limited. Our staff will be pleased to provide Premium support to every paid subscriber asap, but sometimes you should be ready to wait for our reply for up to 3 days. In case of free extensions we do the best to develop and maintain them either, but their support is not necessary.

Product Latest Update