Issue with Instagram video entries not loading

6 months 1 week ago #1956
Topic Author

We are running a video contest -and all has been gong well. However we have just had two contestants who have not been able to enter. They are both using links to instragram videos. When they try to enter, they receive a 404 entry error ( www.irishdancing.global/ ) after clicking submit.

An example for you to see what is happening:
[domain]/index.php/video-contest-win-a-john-carey-designs-dress
Contest: Win a John Carey Designs C...
Name: Rachel Browning
Dance School: TBA
email: Phone Number Video: https://instagram.com/p/BsCgkCcFRd7/ 1. On one entry, the video was on a "private" instagram account, so I had them make this public, but still no success. 2. We have had several YouTube video entries during this time with no problem. 3. If back arrow to entry page after 404 error page, note that the phone number now has a "." in it. 4. If try to do a manual entry through backend - get error message that says: Error An error has occurred. The details are in the log file. I will email you login credentials in case that is helpful. Thank you, Cameron[email]
Phone Number
Video:

1. On one entry, the video was on a "private" instagram account, so I had them make this public, but still no success.
2. We have had several YouTube video entries during this time with no problem.
3. If back arrow to entry page after 404 error page, note that the phone number now has a "." in it.
4. If try to do a manual entry through backend - get error message that says:
Error
An error has occurred. The details are in the log file.

I will email you login credentials in case that is helpful.
Thank you,
Cameron

Last edit: 5 months 1 day ago by Eugene. Reason: Wrong URLs
The topic has been locked.
6 months 1 week ago #1957

Hi Cameron.

I made some investigation and here what I found - the issue comes from Instagram itself :( They have changed API and now URL that points to the thumbnail image is containing some kind of signature that prevents fetching this image or access it directly. Here is the example of such image:

https://scontent-cdg2-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/5c0c62bb1aec72c31a9e72680b9d839b/5C37201B/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/p640x640/47693743_354556005338968_7959923928510913600_n.jpg

You can see that it produces "URL signature mismatch" error instead of displaying the image :( As you know we are using thumbnails to display entries in the list. So this is crucial not to have thumbnails for entries.

What we can try do is to to open a ticket in Instagram support, because it is breaking the oEmbed endpoint that allows us to get the embed code and additional information about the media associated with the link.

Another option I can see here - we can try to implement some kind of a workaround that will use some default thumbnail image (like Instagram logo or something) for cases when the thumbnail is not possible to fetch. What do you think?

Best regards,
Dmitry

Like our extensions and support?
Add your voice to the JED listing with a 5-score review: bit.ly/2ciJBqC
Thanks!
Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by Dmitry.
6 months 1 week ago #1958
Topic Author

Dmitry,
Unfortunately I was afraid that may have been the case.
I think the workaround option would be very helpful, as it would still allow for the entry of the instragram videos - which is desired, despite the lack of an image tied to the video.
Please advise what, if anything, we can do to help institute this work around on our site for this competition.
Thank you for your help,
Cameron

6 months 1 week ago #1959

Ok I will try to make a workaround.

Thanks!
6 months 4 days ago #1960

Hello.

In a few days we will send you a version with a fix. Hope to include the fix for sharing also.

Thanks!
6 months 23 hours ago #1962

If you are still interested please drop us a line on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we will send you a development 1.7.8 version with the fixes.

Thanks!
5 months 1 week ago #1994

Fixed in version 1.7.8.

Thanks!

You can get our help: Monday - Friday / 09:00 to 17:00 (GMT+2). but not limited. Our staff will be pleased to provide Premium support to every paid subscriber asap, but sometimes you should be ready to wait for our reply for up to 3 days. In case of free extensions we do the best to develop and maintain them either, but their support is not necessary.

Product Latest Update