Quality loss for generated thumbnails and intro images

8 months 3 weeks ago #2177
Topic Author
SFB

Hi there,

When I upload an image for a competition entry it looks like the thumb/intro image which gets generated is of much lesser quality and looks a bit blurry.

Are these generated at 70% or 80% perhaps?

Also, the original image for the gallery gets regenerated to be much lager, for example, I upload and 1000x1000 image and in the gallery it shows up at 1600x1600 even though "big" image size is set to 1000x1000.

Would it be possible for the thumb/intro image quality to stay at 100% and so that gallery images do not get "blown up" to 1600x1600?

The topic has been locked.
8 months 3 weeks ago #2178

Hi.

Are these generated at 70% or 80% perhaps?

Small images are saved at 100% image quality setting. But they of cause can lost some quality, because are being re-saved during the cropping.

Also, the original image for the gallery gets regenerated to be much lager, for example, I upload and 1000x1000
image and in the gallery it shows up at 1600x1600 even though "big" image size is set to 1000x1000.

I just have checked this on our test site - I do not have such effect. For gallery big images are used and the size is correct. Please recheck your settings for images.

Best regards,
Dmitry

Like our extensions and support?
Add your voice to the JED listing with a 5-score review: bit.ly/2ciJBqC
Thanks!
Last edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by Dmitry.
8 months 3 weeks ago #2179
Topic Author
SFB

Thanks for your reply.

I've set the 1600x1600 "big" image setting myself, but after that, I changed it to 1000x1000. Now the images I upload get changed and still show as 1600x1600 even though I changed the dimensions.

That's why they look blown-up as they are originally are 1000x1000. How can this be reset?

Small images are saved at 100% image quality setting. But they of cause can lost some quality, because are being re-saved during the cropping.

In my case the images have some small details and they get blury after the cropping. The overall look of the gallery overview is a bit blury as well. Perhaps it has something to do with my issue above, as it pehaps saves a 1000x1000 image as 1600x1600 and generates a thumbnail from this?

8 months 3 weeks ago #2180

When you change settings of sizes this does not affect already uploaded images.

Add your voice to the JED listing with a 5-score review: bit.ly/2ciJBqC
Thanks!
8 months 3 weeks ago #2181
Topic Author
SFB

Yes, this I understand. It says so in the docs.

But when I upload new images on new entries, they also still get resized to 1600x1600. It looks like my changed settings are not being adopted.

8 months 2 weeks ago #2185

Hi SFB,
I've tried to reproduce the issue with big images on localhost and I also cannot confirm the issue:

1. I set big image size to 1000x1000 in settings and upload the image (2400x1050). It was generated and its width is 1000.

2. I set 1600x1600 size in the params and create a new entry. It has 1600 width.

3. I change the size back to 1000x1000 in options and upload the new entry. I have a normal 1000 width.

Please, make sure there are no overriding params in contest settings > Images tab (there you can override params from global options).

Add your voice to the JED listing with a 5 score review:: bit.ly/2ciJBqC
Thanks!
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Eugene.
8 months 2 weeks ago #2187
Topic Author
SFB

Please, make sure there are no overriding params in contest settings > Images tab (there you can override params from global options)

This is what it was. Sorry, bit silly of me not to see this before.

Thanks!

8 months 2 weeks ago #2188

Hi SFB,

Thank you for informing the problem is resolved now!

We hope NorrCompetition meet your needs. If you like the component, it would be great if you will rate for in on the JED. :-)

Have a nice day,
Eugene.

Add your voice to the JED listing with a 5 score review:: bit.ly/2ciJBqC
Thanks!
8 months 2 weeks ago #2189
Topic Author
SFB

Hi Eugene,

Although the image setting solved the enlargement of the images, I still experiencing quite a lot of image quality loss on the intro images. Is it possible to email you my website to get your opinion on this, and hopefully find a solution?

8 months 2 weeks ago #2190
Topic Author
SFB

To give an example for the image loss of the into image:

Original image 1000x1000

After upload it looks like this:

As you can see, colours become dull, small details ( stripes under the puma logo, club logo, puma logo) become blurry.

It's a problem as to judge these in a contest, having blurry details does not help to make a good choice.

Any ideas about this?

You can get our help: Monday - Friday / 09:00 to 17:00 (GMT+2). but not limited. Our staff will be pleased to provide Premium support to every paid subscriber asap, but sometimes you should be ready to wait for our reply for up to 3 days. In case of free extensions we do the best to develop and maintain them either, but their support is not necessary.

Product Latest Update

Follow us in social media