Photo preview without cropping box

2 weeks 2 days ago #2586
Topic Author

Hi there,

Before our competition goes live we have been testing it on our team. Everybody loves the ease of use and functionality of the extension, but there is one area which nobody seems to like : the photo preview cropping box. Even with the explanatory text underneath telling people their principal photo will not be cropped, people look at the preview and say "That's not all of my photo". They just don't read the text - they only look at the photo.

I have had to use CSS to hide this feature from uploaders. Now they upload photos with no problem, but some say it would be nice to preview the image before validating.

So is there any way to remove the cropping from the upload review and just have a thumbnail of the complete photo?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

2 weeks 2 days ago #2587

Well it seems quite logical to implement an additional option to disable cropping. Scheduled this improvement for one of the next versions.

Just a note for your temporary workaround. You need to comment out this portion of code in file /administrator/components/com_competition/helpers/photo.php:

$this->image->loadFile($smallImg);

$cropData = json_decode($app->input->getString('photo-data', ''));

if ($cropData->width && $cropData->height)
{
	$this->image->crop($cropData->width, $cropData->height, $cropData->x, $cropData->y, false);
}

This will ensure that the small image will not be cropped.

Best regards,
Dmitry

Like our extensions and support?
Add your voice to the JED listing with a 5-score review: bit.ly/2ciJBqC
Thanks!

2 weeks 2 days ago #2588
Topic Author

Hi Dimitry,

Thanks again for your rapid feedback. Unfortunately, that solution won't work for this competition, as people can enter either Portrait or Landscape format photos. It works OK for landscape, but not for portrait (see attached screenshot).

Tim,

Attachments:

2 weeks 2 days ago #2589

So you want to crop, but the code should do it on the background?

Thanks!

2 weeks 2 days ago #2590
Topic Author

I don't want any cropping at all - I need all images to retain their original formats, whatever that format is.

2 weeks 2 days ago #2591

Yes I understand and my previous comment is exactly for that - no cropping will be applied at all. So small image will stay as is - portrait or landscape. But you need to keep your CSS workaround.

Thanks!

You can get our help: Monday - Friday / 09:00 to 17:00 (GMT+2). but not limited. Our staff will be pleased to provide Premium support to every paid subscriber asap, but sometimes you should be ready to wait for our reply for up to 3 days. In case of free extensions we do the best to develop and maintain them either, but their support is not necessary.

Product Latest Update

Follow us in social media